p4newstreet logo

class-317-line-upSomething that has been on my workbench for quite literally years is my class 317.  These only ran into New Street for a very short period, right at the end on my timeframe, before they were replaced by class 321/4’s on the London stoppers (or the little londons as they were sometimes known).  For a brummy these were quite exotic when they first appeared, remember ‘new’ things at New Street were not all that common as there were an awful lot of classes that put in appearances now and then.

317-nearly-completeI actually started this model in 2007 and it was my first attempt to etch anything.  At the time I had to use a Bratchell 321 and 150 kit to get the body shells I needed (Bratchell have since done a 317 themselves).  I always liked the early ones despite them being a lot uglier than the later 317/2’s but their sort of pseudo headcode box and scruffy light arrangements appealed to me.  I feel the livery came out ok on this one but I still feel relief that I don’t have to do NSE very often!

317-dts-for-wb

Click here for more.

10 Responses

1. miles

Stunningly composed photo – the lighting is beautiful

19/09/2013 at 1:05 pm

2. Nicely done and compares admirably with Bratchell’s later kit. Painting is excellent, no hint of a primer coat and the top coats are very fine. It doesn’t look heavy at all, no clogged up detail. Angled upsweeps are easier to cut masks for than the curved versions – the lesser of two evils? Nice to see a model in the lighter NSE blue.

19/09/2013 at 1:27 pm

3. jim s-w

Thanks Carl

It’s all halfords spray cans.

19/09/2013 at 1:52 pm

4. Chris Shutt

I’ve been waiting to see this one Jim (remember my class 210 with the same etches?), and it has turned out pretty well. Tell me though, did you retain the Bratchell bogies in the end or substitute them for something else? I used Bachmann ones under the ‘210 as they have much better definition than the ones supplied.

Best regards,
    Chris.

19/09/2013 at 1:53 pm

5. jim s-w

Hi Chris

Yes I remember, your 210 is the only other finished model I’ve seen from my 317 bits. I detailed up the bratchell bogies. Which bachmann ones did you use? We’re they for the 150 and if so where did you get them from? (I need a pair for something else)

19/09/2013 at 2:15 pm

6. Dave long

Good to see her finished Jim. Did you ever find out if a blue/grey unit made to BNS?

19/09/2013 at 3:31 pm

7. jim s-w

Hi Dave

Afraid not – if one had i’d have done this one in blue and grey.

19/09/2013 at 4:00 pm

8. Chris Shutt

Hi Jim,

I’ve used the bogies from the Bachmann class 170. This is a representation of the BREL T3-23 bogie, a direct descendant of the BT13 fitted to the class 317 and also the class 210. It can be backdated to the BT13 and, I believe looks much better than the Bratchell ones.

Best regards,
    Chris.

19/09/2013 at 5:57 pm

9. Chad Bevan

How about the prototype Metro Cammell 151 for further variation? Could be an interesting venture. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonhazan/5303398380/in/photostream/

20/09/2013 at 12:42 am

10. jim s-w

It’s already on the list!

20/09/2013 at 10:00 am