p4newstreet logo

One of the projects I really enjoyed last year was chopping up a Hornby class 110 body shell to convert it into a class 100 (see here and here).  Theres something nice if not a little old-fashioned about taking a razor saw to an old body shell and making something new.

From an RTR point of view Hornby’s 110 was always a bit of an odd choice due to its sphere of operation being so limited. Theres a lot more logic in Bachmanns approach of doing a 108 however to those of us who like fiddling with models the 110 is quite a hidden gem of potential.  Due to its profile (which Hornby kind of messed up a bit) and the position of the door windows relative to the main ones its far more versatile than the 108.  Some classes of DMU that are possible from the 110 starting point are

  • Class 100 (see above)
  • Class 103 – ok with a fair bit of work but see here
  • Class 104 – the obvious conversion, and the one you tend to see most
  • Class 107 – I know this had been done as a limited edition but that was just a reliveried 108, the profile and window positions are wrong so if you want something a bit more accurate, then the 110 is where to start
  • Class 114 – For the same reasons as above, stretching a 110 is going to give you a better result than stretching a 108.

Of those it was the 114 that appealed and by good fortune Tysley inherited some in 1987.  Thus a 114 is a good candidate for either a Brum-Nottingham or a Brum-Cambridge service.

There are other ways of course, a complete kit from DC kits or a conversion kit for the Lima 117 from Craftsman but I picked up a cheap set of 110 bodies and thought id go this way.

class-110-choppedThe above image shows the way that the DMBS was cut up to convert it to a 114.  The cab and one set of doors are scrap while the new section comes from the TS and the cab is DC kits.  The profile of the cab needs adjusting on a bit of sandpaper to match the class 114 profile.

class-114-DMBS-cutting class-114-DTC-cuttingDMBS top and DTC below reassembled. Sections marked as A are new, sections marked as B are original and C are orignal but reversed.  Next stage will be to remove the roof vents, fill the joins that need filling and adjust the profile.

 

Subscribe
Notify of
guest

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

5 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
David Birch
David Birch
6 years ago

Brilliant – just the kind of inspirational modelling I love. Jim – you have a great handle on what makes a really good MU model (both diesel and electric). Looking forward to seeing the Heavyweight progress.

David

Clive Mortimore
Clive Mortimore
6 years ago

Hi Jim

“Looking Good Mate”

I have had similar thoughts for making a Derby long underframe 2 car unit.

The 110 does lend itself to being converted to several different types. For those on the DEMU forum there are some photos of my attempt to make a ScR Derby 3 car heavy weight (107 in new money). I have done 104 conversions in the past, without having to buy a kit it is so simple to do. I did the body work for a BRCW 4 car unit, the TBS was interesting to cut and shut. My latest 104 even has the rasied window surrounds removed, after Jim’s suggestion.

In the past I done a 2 car Derby 108, not quite right but it did pre-date the Bachmann one by about 15 years. I also started to do both the Derby lightweight single cars, these were found a new home I hope they will be finished.

I wonder if the Wickham units could be added to the list of possible conversions.

Yours

Clive

Clive Mortimore
Clive Mortimore
6 years ago

Hi Jim

I have just done a simple compassion of the 110 and a Wickham, the door windows are almost the same, but the main windows on the Wickham are smaller and placed higher up. So the MTK kit might have to be finished one day:-)

Yours

Clive