p4newstreet logo

Aside from some odd ball test bogies the Mk3 coaches ride arround on BT10 bogies of which there are 2 obvious types.

On  the left a BT10 bogie fitted with Girling wheel slip detection as fitted to the prototpe HST vehicles and loco hauled Mk3a coaches.  On the right the BR wheel slip version as fitted to most production HSTs and loco hauled Mk3b coaches. Both pictures show the right hand end bogie which is where the distinctive orange boxes are.

Top left. The Joeuf bogie representing the Girling version.  Joeuf have moulded the wheelslip gear on both sides so it need to be carved off the left hand end bogie side (as you look at the coach.)

Top right. The Southern Pride cast version of the same bogie.

Bottom left.  Southern Prides version of the BR version BT10 bogie.

Bottom right. The lima BT10 comes without any wheel slip gear at all.  as can be seen from this picture I have fitted larger axleboxes and make a representation of the BR equipment from wire and microstrip.

8 Responses

1. Dave long

So which do you prefer Jim?
    Your modified Lima version and the Southern pride BR version look closet to prototype.

Dave

27/11/2012 at 5:49 am

2. jim s-w

I like the openness of the Joeuf version so ill stick to those and modified Lima ones.

27/11/2012 at 9:08 am

3. Phil Eames

I have it in mind that there is another difference in BT10 bogies. Some are Short Swing Link and others are Long Swing Link. The Long Swing Link type are barred from operating over lines equipped with 3rd Rail. This is due to a risk of shorting. I cannot for the life of me find the reference photos I have in the library though!

I am not sure if its worth modelling the difference though? It certainly wasn’t on CS as things just whip through at 100 mph.

Phil

27/11/2012 at 5:55 pm

4. jim s-w

Thats right Phil but pretty much like you I didnt think it obvious enough to worry about. These orange boxes are a bit more noticable.

Cheers

Jim

27/11/2012 at 6:04 pm

5. Chris Shutt

Just looking at the Jouef bogie, it struck me that the coil springs are coiled in the opposite way to the others. May be it is that the right hand side of the bogie is a mirror of the left – Something to take a closer look at?

04/12/2012 at 3:14 pm

6. jim s-w

Hi Chris

They are consistently the same on both sides of the bogie. However I havent come across a picture of a real mk3 with the coils this way (even the prototype coaches were coiled the other way). The only mk3 i have found with them this way round is a BR model of one before the real coaches were built. I wonder if Joeuf followed this, there was a drawing like this at some point or if it was a simple oversight?

04/12/2012 at 7:16 pm

7. Tim Hitch

What about the short swing link versions that allowed the coaches to run over 3rd rail lines?

02/08/2019 at 2:36 pm

8. jim s-w

From a model point of view there’s not much difference. You can trim off the detail on the underside the centre bolster and you would be pretty much there.

04/08/2019 at 10:00 am